Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 No hot water in SOME faucets!
Author: Anonymous User

I hope you can help-- plumbers here say it is impossible. I get my hot water off my oil burner. In most of the house faucets we get plenty of hot water... but in the two bathrooms there's plenty of hot water when you turn on the shower, and only about 30 seconds worth when you turn on the spigot to take a bath. We are not running low on hot water as when the spigot runs cold, I can put the shower right above it on again and plenty of hot water. We also have lukewarm coming into the washing machine in the basement, and plenty of hot water in the kitchen. I have had two mixing valves changed with no improvement. The plumbers say the water is coming up from the same place and it is impossible to have hot water in the shower but not in the tub faucet. I don't mind paying a plumber but they are all incredulous... haven't a clue what is going on. Can anyone help me here--- I miss my bubble baths!!!
Thank you all!!!

Post Edited

Reply To This Message

Re: No hot water in SOME faucets!
Author: steve (CA)

Jan, there might be a problem with a single handled faucet/tub(shower) valve, that is causing the cold water to leak into the hot water piping. With the large flow from the tub spout, there might be enough of a pressure drop in the hot supply, that the higher pressured cold water is leaking over.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

It could also be that the water is passing through the coil (at the boiler) too fast and not being heated properly when the high flow tub spout is being used. The other fixtures you mentioned have water restrictors built in them that slows the flow of the water through the coil.

Have you contacted the oil company about this problem? If you have a service contract, they might address the problem or advise you what to do about it.

Good Luck. e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: Anonymous User

If your mixing valve does not have integral check valves, that could be where your water is passing from cold to hot. The pressure drop will control how hot the water will become. I just had this problem on Monday. Install a swing check on the hot and cold side of the mixing valve.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.