Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 leaking pitless adapter??
Author: Anonymous User

hi all,
loosing water pressure in my cabin. Pressure gauge drops from 48 (when fully pressurized) to around kick in pressure of 28 without using any water in the cabin, usually takes about 10 minutes to do this.
Piping itself inside cabin and in crawl space show no leaks.
Air tank pressure coincedes pretty much with gauge pressure, leading me to believe tank is ok..
This past weekend, i took the well cap off (its a 1/2 hp F/W pump, down 44 feet, up thru pitless adapter, into pressure tank etc)..Upon placing my ear down on the 4 inch casing of the well, i could hear water "hissing or spraying, " down inside the well casing. This was when the pump wasnt running of course..
Sound like a pitless adapter seal gone bad? what else could it be besides a piping leak of some sort.??right?
Im not going to pull this up by myself, Im calling in the pros. will a plumber be able to handle the troublshooting repair? or should i call a well driller who services? The system is 9 years old, original well drilling company who installed is out of business due to retirement..Any advice tips appreciated! thankyou PS> what kind $$$ am i looking at?

Re: leaking pitless adapter??

Can't tell what kind of $$ you are looking at but a well driller should have what is needed to repair the problem.
Most plumbers that do not deal in wells to do not carry the products to repair a well. In the same way you wouldn't expect a well driller to carry repair/replacement parts for your plumbing inside your house.
Now there are a lot of co. out there that will do both but as a general rule it is not the same person.
Southern Plumber

Re: leaking pitless adapter??

update!!
i had a well driller come out.
He pulled up the pump, no leaks found in pitless adapter/check valve/piping down to pump etc.
He GUARANTEED me 100 percent that it was the 1inch adapter that screws into the outside of the pitless adapter and connects to the black rigid water pipe.
He wanted to come back with a back hoe, i said since it was only down 4 feet i would dig it up..Low and behold he was right on the mark...Electrolosysis (sorry about spelling) had caused a pinhole leak in the adapter, water was spraying out of it like crazy when the system was energized. I spent about four hours digging big enuf hole to work in, removing the defective piece, installing the new $2.00 adapter and presto...problem cured (for another 10 years or so at least) had to replace it with same type metal adapter as hardware store didnt have brass one to match with brass of pitless adapter..Im happy, problem solved...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.