Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toilets drain problem...HELP!!
Author: Anonymous User

i have 2 toilets (both on same line) live in a single story townhome. Both toilets don't flush completly...or 1 flushes slowly, but not completly...i have used a plunger, a 6 foot snake and nothing has worked.I am renting, but a small clause in my lease says i am responsible for up to $200.00 in repair bills on any type of repair.I need to fix this but as cheaply as a single mother of 3 I don't have alot of extra $$. Can someone please give me advice? Thank You.

Re: toilets drain problem...HELP!!
Author: Dunbar (KY)

You need to pull one of those toilets and rent a drain cleaning machine from a rental yard and clean drain first to eliminate a clog.

If this is on a cross-tee.......make sure it drops; have someone on other side to make sure you don't send cable through other toilet.

Also need to see if vent is clogged above.

Author: westchester plumber

You may want to check the main drain for a clog or restriction (downstream of both toilets).
Depending on how your townhouse plumbing system is designed you may have a clean-out fitting in the basement or an access cover for a clean-out fitting on the same level as the bathrooms. This doesn't sound like a job for a single Mom of 3.
Contact the owner, he/she might take care of this problem for you.
Good Luck. *westchester plumber*

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

It sounds like the main sewer line is stopped. If you are on city sewer find out what the policy is for the parish to come out and look at problem. In my area there is a 6" main clean out (usually in front of home) that will get inspected to comfirm if the problem is the parish or the homeowner. If the clean out is overflowing then the parish will fix or clean there side. If it is on the house side then consider notifying the homeowner. If the problem escalates in cost it will be from the person he called out to solve the problem. Also he may have a regular plumber that he trusts for situations such as this. GOOD LUCK

Author: Deb (ID)

Matty,
As a single mother (first) and a plumber (second), I am advising you to call a plumber to auger this for you. The equipment you need for a main line is large and dangerous--you will probably not even be able to lift it yourself. The cable can bind and start coiling up faster than you can believe--it is capable of taking fingers off or breaking bones. And it takes experience to learn to negotiate the turns and bends in a drainage system. This could very easily be over the $200.00 that you are required to pay.
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: hj (AZ)

I fyou do not have a lot of money, call a plumber. Otherwise you may take up a toilet, rent a snaking machine, and then still have to call a plumber, and the first thing he will have to do is put everything back together so he can determine where the real problem is and if he has the proper machinery, he will not be able to snake it fromt he toilet anyway.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Deb has offered you some good advise. Heed it.
A plumbing system may include several hundred feet of large diameter piping between your toilet and the street. Any where along that path, it can be partially blocked or restricted. You may not even be your fault. It could be from someone who shares the line or from a previous dweller.
This job is not as easy as changing a light bulb. It is very hard, very difficult and can be very dangerous to a weekend WannaBe.
You don't carry enought insurance to protect you or the building, in the event you break a pipe or cause damage.
A license plumber may forego the inital $200 if the job is big enought to go to the street.
BestWishes !

Author: Anonymous User

Call Rooterman and they can jet your line very quickly and inexpensively. We use a hydro-jetter. It's the best in the business.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.