Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cast iron drain pipe leak
Author: Anonymous User

We noticed a leak in the drain pipe about ten-twelve feet from the toilet in the crawlspace of our basement. Our house was built in 1928 and a lot of the plumbing is cast iron, including this drain pipe. It is in otherwise good condition. The leak is not horrid, just a steady drip. Is there any kind of patching compound that can be used to repair the pipe until we can replace it. The crawlspace is very small and we will have to enlarge it before we can get in there to saw and remove. Please help!

Re: Cast iron drain pipe leak
Author: westchester plumber

The piping should be replaced as you mentioned but until then, as a homeowner you can purchase an epoxy compound as a temp. repair. Epoxybond is a brand that comes in two tubes, mix together and apply to split/crack in C.I. piping.
It may not seal the leak but if it does it will stop that nasty toilet water from puddling up in your crawlspace until a permanent repair can be performed by a licensed plumber.
Good Luck. *westchester plumber*

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I'm guessing that you are referring to a horizontal run rather than a vertical run. Does the leak appear to be in a joint or in the middle of the piping. A repair may be in order rather than a replacement.
Doing your homework before the licensed plumber arrives will mean the saving of time... and money.
Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

What can they do ahead of time to make the job easier for a plumber, other than to excavate the crawl space, if that is acutally needed.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I wish that I could answer that question with a credible answer, but I can't as I haven't been to the job site. I don't know if the venting is occurring in a joint or in the middle of the cast iron. (it would be nice to know) I also don't know the measurements of the crawl space.
But I'm hoping that a 7 course dinner for the person who is doing the repairs, might make it easier on the homeowner.
I hope that we both find out the answer in later postings.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Determine the size of piping, go and buy a rubber fernco of that same size.

Take a utility knife and cut a vertical cut in boot so that it will open up.

Then wrap around pipe, with the leak directly centered in the fernco.

Then slip bands back over their regular spots on each end of boot and tighten up.

This will buy you a great deal of time on this matter.

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Often the condition of the pipe may look fine on top but may be severly corroded on the bottom. Untill a section of pipe is cut out and replaced anything else will be a guess. If the leak is from a hub joint possibly the lead joint may need to be re-caulked. If the leak is on a straight run you can split the rubber on a fernco and install around pipe for a temp./ possibly long term fix. To actually see the leak location would help determine the proper fix. Sometimes cast iron pie will form a long split that may not be east to see. GOOD LUCK

The leak is on a horizontal section of pipe in the middle, not on a joint. Thanks so much everyone for your help!! I'll check back again and see if there is any more advice with the new info smiling smiley

(PS-I'd be willing to cook seven courses for any plumber who can fix my basement!)

I have put J.B.Weld to temp. patch a c.i. line untill I could replace the line.

I have multiple leakages on this same type of drainage, but I think mine are all from the joints. One is where the washing machine drain to. Two of them are from the shower place, tub and.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.