Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Replace Bathtub Drain Shoe
Author: Anonymous User

Can i fill additional gap between bottom surface of tub and new shoe with another set of rubber gasket and fiber washer. Kit comes with one set. Mfr sent me another. Do I need to use bothe fiber washers ? can I sandwich one fiber between the two rubber ones. This will avoid my having to loosen additional old slip nuts to move shoe upward.

thank you

Reply To This Message

Re: Replace Bathtub Drain Shoe
Author: westchester plumber

The two washers that came with the new shoe are for different type bathtubs. The thicker washer is for a steel tub and the thinner is for a cast iron tub. The flat washer should be installed in between the shoe and rubber washer. Doubling up on the rubber gaskets could create problems; leaks.
Good Luck. *westchester plumber*

Reply To This Message

Thank you, Last sentence seems to contradict the first. I have a basic steel tub, so I should only use the thicker rubber washer and loosen the slip nuts permitting me to raise the shoe w/rubber gasket. Is it taking a big risk to put one rubber gasket against the shoe, followed by afiber and then another rubber ? if it does not initially
leak will it last ?

thanks

Reply To This Message

Generally one gasket is used. For your tub, (steel) it would be the thicker of the two.
Unless the new shoe design is much different than the existing, the strainer, shoe and thicker rubber gasket should be sufficient for a sound connection. I wouldn't install two rubber gaskets.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The tub shoe MUST be parallel to the tub bottom. If you have to loosen the slip nut and tip the drain up, it will not be even all around its perimeter. Throw the fiber gasket away and use whatever rubber washers it takes to fill the void.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

Here's a suggestion: if you're replacing the tub shoe, why not just replace the entire waste & overflow? You seem to have the neccesary access, it's not much more trouble, you won't having to worry about how many rubber gaskets, and the job will be more complete, a consideration if you're closing the ceiling up after it's done.

-Steve G

Reply To This Message

ok. I will use only one rubber gasket and yes, keep shoe parallel to tub. Unique situation here in that space is at a bare minimum and sink waste is fed into a TEE added in line with overflow tail pipe. Quest. Does the new overflow inlet gasket just make a pressure seal with tub, after cleaning surface. If i choose to continue with this job and replace all, i will have to duplicate the sink TEE, or use the existing one if it in good shape. If I am unable to loosen the slip nut that is attached to the brass trap, i thank you all, but will have to have this done professionally.

Reply To This Message

Sounds like a professional plumber should be called to complete this job.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If your description is accurate then that sink drain was either not installed by a plumber, or he was a very poor tradesman. At this stage I would call a real plumber and have him install this system properly, even if it requires opening some walls to do it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.