Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Moentrol cartridge
Author: Anonymous User

I have an old leaking Moentrol tub/shower, I can't figure out how to get the cartridge out to clean it + replace if necessary. Looks like I might need a special tool? Anybody have any advice?

Reply To This Message

Re: Moentrol cartridge
Author: steve_g (CA)

Some Moen cartridges are very difficult to remove, and there is a tool for it. I have that tool and have used it twice in 15 years.

Take a look at this (towards the bottom of the page):

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

-Steve G

-Steve G

Reply To This Message

Author: westchester plumber

The tool is hardly used as Steve mentioned.
Did you find the very small removable clip shaped like a "C" or a "U" that slides out for the cartridge removal? Be sure to install the new cartridge and clip in the same fashion.

Post Edited (08-02-03 19:53)

Reply To This Message

Have you ever tried to remove a 1200 moen cartridge and pulled the inside part of cartridge out leaving the barrel still froze in the main valve. Here's a trick I learned maybe some of you could use it.First purchase a 3/8x1-1/4 wood dowel and a1/2x20 tap,insert wood dowel into remainder of cartridge,start tap. As it makes its way to the dowel it will be pushed to back of valve body forcing cartridge out of valve body.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for replies everyone...

... yes I did find and slide out the U-shaped clip, now the cartridge can be rotated but doesn't seem to move in or out. Clearly need the tool. A (broken) circular, very flat, very thin "washer" also came out and now there's a stronger slow drip. Was this part of the old cartridge??

steve_g - thanks for the URL, seems a shame to have to buy a $20 widget just get the thing out... I wonder if there's a hot market on eBay for used ones...! Are these things going to be as cheap at my local plumbing supply or should I buy online? (I do a lot of home improvement, but I'm a relative novice at plumbing stuff)

Reply To This Message

Author: Dunbar (KY)

You just gave the number one reason why I don't like to install or service moen faucets. More trouble than what they are worth. I can tell you of numerous brands I recommend but The only thing Moen has in thier favor is styles. And I will say that they have a huge selection of good-looking faucets.

Just don't try to service them over any distance of time. You either have to wait for parts from California or get taken to the cleaners at supply houses. Shouldn't be so hard to find products for such a popular faucet. Check out one of my older posts regarding Moen and the luck I have had with them.

Reply To This Message

Author: westchester plumber

No disrespect... but
At this point you may want a professional to handle the catridge removal / replacement.
You could possibly damage the valve body beyond repair and have to replace the complete faucet which could be costly, not to mention the wall / tile restoration.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

If you buy the tool, it may not be the only time you get to use it...

Reply To This Message

Whoah! red rag to a bull or what :-)

Despite westchester's advice I bought a new cartridge and a knob kit from a local supplier today and eventually managed to get the old brass cartridge out. The middle part of it came out easily, but left the main brass sleeve inside, which needed extensive pulling/twisting with a vise-grip before it came out. Seems the $20 extractor isn't always needed (although I was about ready to give up when it finally budged).

Viola, the new cartridge is now in and everything seems to be working great...

Again, thanks for all the responses, this is a useful forum.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms