Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve
Author: Anonymous User

I am replacing a Hot water heater in my residence. The heater is in an unfinished basement, slightly below grade (2'), separated from the garage by a fire wall. I already have a 3" high platform for the new heater.

I spoke with an inspector and he said that I needed to exhaust the pressure relief valve to the outside.

From the heater's current location, I need to run a pipe up and over a door and out through the exterior wall.

Can I run the pipe above the level of the hot water heater to exhaust it outside?

I assume that the pressureized water would easily flow uphill a little ways.

-STan

Re: Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

1)No you can't go up hill with that line

2) I have never had an inspector ask me to exhaust the pressure relief valve to the outside.

Author: Mike B

Let's see - freezing weather causes ice blockage in the relief valve discharge line.
Kabooom!

Are they really allowed to dream-up
their own little pet requirements or, do they have to follow well thought-out,
approved and published standards?!?

Re: Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Val

Thanks for your reply.

The inspector said to vent the pressure relief valve in order to meet local code in the absence of drain in the basement.

Would a sump pump suffice?

I hesitate to have a drain installed in a basement that hasn't leaked.

-Stan

Author: hj (AZ)

1. Yes, the pressure will force the water over the doorway, but the water remaining in the riser going up over the doorway will corrode the mechanism in the relief valve and cause it to become inoperable, destroying its function as a safety device.
2. In this area the inspectors require every discharge line to be piped outdoors, or to a floor drain with a 1" air gap, which makes it a tripping hazard if done properly.

Lte's see. Freezing weather and the line is piped to the outside. Relief discharge is piped properly with 1/4" pitch and no traps. Eureka! Any water in the line drains out so it cannot freeze. What a great idea, and no flood in the basement if there is not a floor drain near the water heater.

In this area the plumbing inspector would be quoting the code properly.

Thanks folks,

I now have a plan to move the water outside which doesn't require the water to move uphill from the valve.

I'm in Albany, California, BTW. The last time we had freezing weather was a two day stretch in 1991. This freeze burst the exterior (uninsulated) pipes in many homes pipes burst in some homes with crawlspace water piping.

Cheers,

-Stan

Author: plumber177 (NJ)

by code draining a RV out side still calls for an air gap

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.