Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine overflows
Author: Anonymous User

What can cause my washing machine fill cycle to not shut off? I am unsure what type of shutoff it has, whether it's a float or runs from the timer. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? The wash cycle (agitation) starts and runs, but the water never shuts off.
Thanks for the help!
The MrJack

Re: Washing machine overflows
Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

1) If the washer drain hose is connected too low the washer will never truly fill up causing a constant call for water. The top of the discharge should be at approx. 36" which is right at the level of the top of the washer.(give or take an inch or two) 2) Now also take note on how the drain hose is connected to the plumbung drain. The hose should sit in the pipe with an air surrounding aroun the drain hose. If the hose is tied directly into a drain pipe with either pipe fittings or taped tightly this will cause a siphoning action. The washer will proberly fill up on the first start but once it goes into a drain cycle it will cause to siphon all water out of the washer thus constantly calling for water. 3) If all else is ok there is a possibility that the washer itself is experiencing electronic problems. GOOD LUCK

I was curious if you might know what actually signals the machine that there is enough water in it.
1)My drain hose is mounted at the top of the washer, and
2)it is connected to the drain pipe into a sleeve that allows air in as well, so I don't think that it is siphoning.
It has been working for over a month, and now all of a sudden, it is overflowing, due to the fact that the incoming water never shuts off. It is a Hotpoint Large Capacity 2-Speed washing machine. Thanks in advance for the help!

The MrJack

Author: hj (AZ)

If the wash cycle starts then the water fill solenoid should be closed at that point. The valve is probably stuck. Try using just hot water or just cold water to see if it only happens with one side or the other. If both then it is a pressure switch problem. Does the washer overflow or does the excess water just go down the drain?

I'll check to see if it is hot / cold / or both. Thanks for the help!
It actually overflowed all over the room, not just down the drain.

The MrJack

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

I believe there are different set points for washer levels. Try a different level set point to see if there is any change. Also the solinoid that shuts off the water could possible have trash lodged in it preventing it from shutting completely. GOOD LUCK

It is both the hot and cold that won't shut off, so I guess it's a pressure switch problem? Where is the pressure switch normally located? Are you certain that it wouldn't be either a timer or solenoid problem? How would a pressure switch affect the filling of the washer? What pressure reading would it be using as a shutoff trigger?
TIA,

Jack

There's a clear tube that connects to the dial that says if its a small, medium, or large load. A couple of things could be happening. One is when the machine vibrates it sometimes knocks this tube loose. You'll need to take the machine apart where the dials are and reconnect this tube. I would add a small quick tie on it as well to keep it from happening again.

The other thing is the tube could have something blocking it where it connects to the tub. You'll need to unblock it.

I would check the tube connected to the dial first though.

These forums dont have dates on the messages so you might have already fixed this, but Ill post it anyway.

Dear Reader,
The washeing machine overflowed this morning.
I found this website.
"The other thing is the tube could have something blocking it where it connects to the tub. You'll need to unblock it. "
I blew in the top end of the tube, heard something pop out and now the washing machine runs fine.
Thank you all very much for your postings leading to me not having to but a new machine.
Thank you very much!
gosm

Author: bw2k3 (OH)

Hello,
My Hotpoint washing machine is overflowing as well. However, only the COLD water does this, the HOT is fine. Any suggestions on what it could be? Thanks!

Author: Geminis076 (CA)

Hi, it's 6/16/09 and just wanted to thank everyone who posted questions and provided information regarding this issue. This suddenly happened to our washing machine (Kenmore 70 series), wouldn't stop filling, the first time it overflowed and flooded the kitchen =\.

Thanks to this thread we learned that the water level tube thing that was talked about above had become loose and was no longer attached. Opened things up, re-attached and it's back to normal. Thanks to this thread and a few other helpful pages we were able to save about $100 bucks in repair!

I would like to suggest the following page for additional "over-filling troubleshooting tips: [www.applianceaid.com]

And there's several videos on YouTube showing how to open your machine for repairs.

Thanks!

Author: bobby71 (OH)

I am so thankfull for this post, i had the same issue and if not for this thread i would of just bought a new one rather than figure out the issue. Thanks again!!!!

Author: Jason072 (Non-US)

I was just reading this post as my washer was overflowing. When I went to check the clear hose I found that it had come off. I reconnected and it fixed my washer. Thank you very much. Jason

Author: Positive (AZ)

This post saved my night! I removed the dial housing, removed the clear tube, blew into it and walla...it fixed the problem. Thank you so much!

Author: dsnelling1 (KY)

Thanks for the help just fixed my washer! It was the tube! It easy to do took ME only a couple of minutes, which is good because my husband is no handyman. L O L

Author: Hank3388 (OH)

6/6/2016 Fixed my Hotpoint by blowing into tube .
Thank you all.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.