Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Muriatic Acid?
Author: Anonymous User

Hi. I currently have that 'egg' smell in my water. Did a search here and found some great info. My question...How do I properly use Muriatic acid to(attempt to) rectify the situation? People have told me this can and is done all the time, but I thought i would ask the experts. Can this be done to a 'point'??? Aparrently, the point is 65' down. I've handled nasty chemicals before-so that is not what I'm worried about. My plan is to 'shock' it with bleach first, then hit'er with the acid.(after a week or so) I basically need a walk-thru on this one...how much acid? should I install my junker pump when I cycle the acid?? should I cycle the acid?? Thanks for any help...

Reply To This Message

Re: Muriatic Acid?
Author: Anonymous User

Jefkil,

I spent alot of time maintaining swimming
pools when I was a teenager. I used muriatic
acid to sometimes treat tough pool water when
it got cloudy. It never hurt the pumps and
or equipment.

Perhaps speaking to a swimming pool professional may give some insight on
how to apply it in your particular
situation. Hope that helps.

Reply To This Message

Author: GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN)

Don't do that. HCl will have no effect on the odor problem. Shock Chlorination may help. But, before you do anything take a look at the web site [www.ironproblems.com]

That is a site that talks about odor problems also. You will find discussion there about the likely odor causer SRB.

Reply To This Message

Author: Gary Slusser

You're talking about well cleaning or well rehabilitation, on a very small scale. And if you have galvanized pipe both chlorine and acid can cause it problems, depending on how much acidc and chlorine you use and how much water is in the well. It shouldn't harm a pump, but that depends on how you do and for how long the stuff is in the pump. As far as the pump is concerned, the dirt kicked up by this effort and then getting into the pump and stopping it from pumping is a much bigger and more probable problem. The jet in a jet pump or j-body and the inlet screen of a submersible pump or jet pump foot valve can block. So can screen in the well.

Without maintianing the pH to about a 2 and then taking it up (alkaline) to about 12 for a specified time, you won't get all the bacteria. You also have to get all the scale and encrustations so you get the bacteria in and under them. Then you could have a bunch of 'sutff' in the well that has to be removed and you have to be capable of doing that or there's no point in doing anything more then shocking the well with chlorine. And that might cause the same type problems.

Cleaning the well won't neccessarily solve your problem with naturally ocurring H2S, or IRB/SRB caused odor. Both will eventually return, and if you upset bacteria and don't kill all of'em... they can come back with a vengence. Anyway, muratic acid is a poor choice IMO.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

jefkil wrote:

>
> Hi. I currently have that 'egg' smell in my water. Did a
> search here and found some great info. My question...How do I
> properly use Muriatic acid to(attempt to) rectify the
> situation? People have told me this can and is done all the
> time, but I thought i would ask the experts. Can this be done
> to a 'point'??? Aparrently, the point is 65' down. I've
> handled nasty chemicals before-so that is not what I'm worried
> about. My plan is to 'shock' it with bleach first, then hit'er
> with the acid.(after a week or so) I basically need a
> walk-thru on this one...how much acid? should I install my
> junker pump when I cycle the acid?? should I cycle the acid??
> Thanks for any help...

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.