Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Relocating washer & dryer
Author: sumdumgai

I started this post last week, and got a lot of good information, but this weekend I learned more about the problem.

Old Info: My washer (and its drain stand pipe) and dryer are currently located in the basement at near the middle of a 28 ft wall. Floor is concrete.

I would like to move the washer & dryer to near the middle of an adjacent wall, about a 22 ft distance along the walls. I do not want to relocate the washer drain stand pipe by cutting the concrete floor and rerouting pipes. What is the best alternative way to accommodate the move?

New Info: There is no trap on the stand (drain) pipe. The washer hookup box is attached to the top of the stand pipe, and the washer hose sets in this box. The opening is somewhat sealed with hardened foam.

What should I do to be able to move the washer?

Thanks.

Re: Relocating washer & dryer
Author: jjbex (IL)

Is the trap under the floor?

Author: hj (AZ)

sme information as before, except that the trap should be at the bottom of the riser and still needs to be removed. If it is not there for some reason, namely an incompetent installer, then obviously you cannot remove it.

This is a concrete slab so I don't think there is a trap. Using this drain stand pipe, can't I run a line from this stand pipe along the wall to the new washer location, and install a new washer hookup box with trap there? Thanks.

Unless you are getting sewer gas from that standpipe, it has a trap somewhere. It would also range on incompetence if the trap were under the floor, since that would imply that the installer did not know how to put it above the floor and vent it.

Where the washer hose is inserted into the top of the drain pipe, someone has sealed it with expansion foam.

Given this jury-rigged set up, how can I remedy it and move the washer to an adjacet wall in the room? Thanks.

First you have to determine how badly it was installed in the first place. Namely, you have to verify whether there is a trap or not. From the description, there may not even be a vent for the drain. If not, then you have to connect your drain into an untraped area of the existing system, and then provide a vent from the new trap location back to an existing vent.

Appreciate your help, HJ.

Is there someway that I can get a picture to you of what I think you're telling me I need to do. Fax?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.