Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Rainsoft water softner
Author: Anonymous User

The house I bought has a large expensive water softner. I want to use it because I understand it better for the pipes. However, I want to adjust how soft the water is and I want to change the filter myself. Can you tell me how to do this and do I need to do anything else to it to keep it maintained? What type of salt is the best to use? I tried using the blocks, but, they are too heavy for me.

Reply To This Message

Re: Rainsoft water softner
Author: GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN)

It is not a good idea to try to adjust the "softness" of the water from the water softener. You defeat the benefit of no pipe scaling as well as all the other benefits of soft water. Once you become accustomed to the feel of soft water you will not want any hardness in the water at all. It has been my experience that it takes about 2-3 weeks and then you are in soft water heaven.

Regarding the use of "block salt": Use Extra Coarse Solar Salt Crystals instead. Block salt dose not dissolve well enough for the water softener to work properly. Do not use "Mined" Rock Salt. It contains too much sand and dirt and that will accumulate in the brine tank and requires frequent brine tank cleaning. Solar Salt is as clean as Block Salt.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

You do not adjust the soft water, you can only adjust how often the softener recycles. There is no filter to change, and you need bags of water softener salt pellets, not blocks.

Reply To This Message

Author: Anonymous User

The Rainsoft people wanted to come out and change the filter and do maintenance for around $125.00. This I did not do.

I also have a small filter under my sink. Maybe that is the one that has a filter. If so, where can I get a filter? Home Depot or direct from Rainsoft?

Reply To This Message

Author: Gary Slusser

It's always best to describe things in detail. Usually they sell an RO drinking/cooking water system with their softener. All ROs require frequent servicing; every 6-12 months depending on the water quality they are treating and how much RO water you use, among a few other things. So having the RO serviced to be able to understand its operation etc. is a very good idea. While they are there they can test your raw water and set the softener up for your family's water use and that will make the unit more efficient. They can also explain the unit to you. They will want you to use block salt. My advice is not to use anything but solar crystal salt. It causes the fewest if any problem related to 'salt' of all the types of salt used in a water softener.

Based on the amount of iron in your water, you may want the type of salt that has the resin cleaner in it. Although the best way to clean resin is manually mixing some in warm water and pouring it into the salt tank once every so often, again, depending on your water quality etc., and then doing a manual regeneration.

I'm not sure but I think you may find the RO is very difficult to find parts for unless you buy them from them. That's one of the problems with owning proprietary equipment.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.