Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Portable clothes washer connection
Author: Anonymous User

Hi,
I have a portable clothes washer. It might be more convienient to hook in my bathroom rather than the kitchen (no room). I live in an apartment situation. Was wondering if the proper fittings exist that would enable me to run laundry hoses to the valves under my bathroom sink.
The bathroom faucet itself is not threaded at all, to enable me to hookup the washer, and also since my washer take both a hot and cold hose, I could enjoy haveing both properly hooked up both (instead of running 1 cold hose all the time), AND I imagine (but I really might be imagining things) that I'd be able to leave the hoses shut away under the cabinet and screw the hoses to the machine body whenever I wanted to use it?
Anybody at all out there who might think I am not crazy?
Thanks for any info!: )

Reply To This Message

Re: Portable clothes washer connection

There would definitly be a way to make the connection that you are looking for but would probably call for cutting into, and soldering on some additional fittings to make it fly. Also since you won't be using the usual connector you will need to set up a way to connect the drain line too.
Are you sure that your faucet doesn't have threads on the spout if you remove the aerator on the end?

Reply To This Message

Thank you for a reply!
Soldering huh, well, hmmm...
Yeah, the bathroom sink faucet is a standard apartment cheapo. And the nozzle relly dosen't seem to want to come off, though I'll have a look again. This washer is designed to be hooked up as a portable or permanent. It has a drain hose which is supposed to be able to be hung on the sink or whatever. But I think I see the pump on it struggling as my kitchen sink is a bit high. To hook up in the bathroom sink then let the hose deposit in that lower sink, tub or maybe even toilet(?)
Maybe a new faucet fixture? But then I'd be stuck using cold only and manually adjusting the heat of the water, then instead of having both hoses hooked up.
All well, guess I'm having a pipe dream! ; )
Thanks for all your help!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

You must have an unusual portable, since most only have the one water hose because they know that most areas will only have one place to connect the hose. You might look into installing a Watts type washer valve, possibly with hose quick connects added to it, that has a single handle to turn both waters on and off, since many conventional washer valves to do respond well to frequent on/off cycles.

Reply To This Message

Yes Thank You, I will look into that Watts type. And yes, I do have a slightly unusual portable. To make a long story short- I just said "washer" but it is actually a washer/dryer combination. IE: It washes and drys in the same bin. It is made to be a portable or permanent and is also ventless.
These do take longer to dry your clothes but it sure beats the heck out of going to the Laundromat when there is no laundry on the premisis.
There are several brands of these made.
Names such as Equator, Thor, Haier,and Quietline.I got mine second-hand on ebay!
Thanks for the info!

Reply To This Message

sears sells a portable washer hookup hose with drain. there is an adapter for your faucet that will allow you to hook the washer hose to it. the unused inlet is covered with a cap that should come with portable hookup hoses.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.