Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toilet Drain Question (Revised)
Author: Anonymous User

I am remodeling a 2nd floor closet located in the center of my house into a bathroom. I have installed the toilet flange and waste drain using 3" pvc. and can maintain a slope of 1/4" per foot the entire length of the drain. I have two questions regarding the toilet drain.

1) Are there any limitations on the number of 90 degree bends I can have in the 3" drain line?

2) I will need tie into the existing cast iron drain at a flange. Is there a way to connect a 90 degree pvc bend to the existing cast iron flange.

Thanks very much.

Reply To This Message

Re: Toilet Drain Question (Revised)
Author: Deb (ID)

Did you vent this?

UPC code requires a cleanout for every 135 degree change in direction for horizontal pipe. Try to use 45s and make long sweeps, rather than using 90s.

You can use no hub couplings to connect cast iron pipe to PVC (or ABS) pipe, but I don't think you can connect from a PVC 90 to a cast flange--you will need pipe in between.

Deb
The Pipewench

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

break the old cast iron flange and remove the lead. you now have a 4" piece of pipe staring at you. slip a 4X3 no hub coupling over it. put a 3" street ell into the nh coupling. tighten it up and you should be all set. install a clean out tee within a few feet..

Reply To This Message

Thanks Deb,

I did vent with a 2" wet vent that will also serve as a sink drain. The vent is located about 18 inchs "downstream" of the toilet flange. Is there a rule of thumb for how many 90 degree bends that you can reach with a single cleanout (if the cleanout is also a "T";).

Thanks again,
Dave

Reply To This Message

Wonderful. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice. I read somewhere that some code would allow for a 1/8 inch per foot slope if you are using 3" pipe. Is there any truth to this?

Dave

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

only code i know about is massachusetts and it wants 1/4" per foot.

Reply To This Message

I suppose that some of the real pros out there can negotiate numerous 90 degree bends with a snake. The real goal here is not to ever need the cleanouts. They are however, fairly inexpensive. I usually install a fair number of test tees when I plumb a house. Cleanouts are required at the base of all stacks and for every 135 degree of horizontal change of direction.
Deb
The Pipewench

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If you are connecting at a flange, it implies that you are using an old toilet connection. If so, the elbow at that point does not have even the minimum legal radius to use as a connection point. It is essentially a square corner, not a sweeping turn.

Reply To This Message

One more question Deb. Do the clean outs need to be located at the end of a horizontal run, or can they be a "T" that is located in the middle of a run? (I have access issues)

Thanks again

Reply To This Message

Yes. This is one reason that I like to use test tees. You can put them anywhere on your horizontal run and clean from both directions.

Deb
The Pipewench

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.