Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 frozen vent stack
Author: Anonymous User

I LIVE IN NORTHERN WISCONSIN WHERE IT GETS PRETTY COLD AND MY ROOF VENT KEEPS FREEZING.THEN IT DRYS UP THE TRAPPS AND ALLOWS THE SEWER GAS IN.THE HOUSE IS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FROM THE BEGINNING. THIS YEAR I CHANGED THE VENT FROM A 3 INCH TO A 4 AND IT SEEMED TO HELP A LITTLE BUT IT STILL FREEZING.ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Reply To This Message

Re: frozen vent stack

Why is a vent freezing, there shouldnt be any water in it. Im confused?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

When you increased it to 4" did you start the 4" at least a foot below the roof?

Reply To This Message

Author: plumbhelp (MA)

not only should the increase in size be at least 1ft. below the roof line, but the vent should also be at least 18" to 24" above the roof line where the vent goes through the roof.

Reply To This Message

Author: Barry (MI)

RAISE THE VENT SO IT'S WELL ABOVE THE SNOW LINE ON THE ROOF. IF THERE ISN'T ANYTHING TO COVER THE VENT THEN THERE ISN'T ANYTHING TO FREEZE.

Reply To This Message

YES,IT IS ABOUT 3 FEET BELOW THE ROOF LINE AND ABOUT 18 INCHES ABOVE THE ROOF LINE.I AM ON A SEPTIC SYSTEM AND IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE IS NOT A ENOUGH AIR FLOW TO KEEP IT OPEN WHEN IT GETS REAL COLD,BECAUSE THE HEAT FROM THE SEPTIC TANK SHOULD KEEP IT OPEN.I AM WONDERING IF SOMETHING IN THE SYSTEM IS NOT VENTED RIGHT.THANKS FOR REPLYING.

Reply To This Message

It's condensation coming from the septic system that is freezing. If you can wrap insulation around that portion of the vent in the unheated attic it should help a lot. I have seen steel casing used as an outside flue for a wood burning stove that would freeze up from the moisture in the flue gasses. Fiberglass insulation wrap with a sheetmetal sleeve stops it.

Reply To This Message

Author: plumbhelp (MA)

good idea joe.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

In the Chicago area the vent was installed 12" above the roofline and then a lead flashing was installed around it which allowed the attic heat to circulate around the exposed section of pipe.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

Rbill, how about wrapping some heat cable around the area that freezes?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms