Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Shower/Tub Faucet Leak
Author: Anonymous User

I installed a new shower/tub faucet in my basement bathroom and have leaks copper threaded connector nuts (hot & cold). I used teflon tape around the threads, wrapped 4 times in a clockwise direction. It is a slight leak--one drop every 5-10 minutes. Any words of wisdom on what I did wrong or more importantly, how do I fix? Should I go with more or less tape?

Post Edited (10-27-02 14:21)

Reply To This Message

Re: Shower/Tub Faucet Leak
Author: steve (CA)

Bmorgan, can you see the leak actually coming from the joint? With the joint still intact, check the female fitting for a possible crack(if you disassemble to check it, the crack might close up). Try using a paste type of sealant and keep those joints exposed for as long as you can after getting a successful seal.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

MY words of wisdom would be to toss the tape and use a paste joint compound. I just repaired a large gas system where the installers used tape, a lot of tape, and the joints started leaking after a couple of years.

Reply To This Message

Thank you. Is pipe joint compound the preferred approach in the industry? The manufacturer's direction suggest tape. How long does it take to harden and seal after applied? How does one prevent it from coming out of the joint as you screw on the connector (a 1/2" male adapter in this case)?hj wrote:hj wrote:

> MY words of wisdom would be to toss the tape and use a paste
> joint compound. I just repaired a large gas system where the
> installers used tape, a lot of tape, and the joints started
> leaking after a couple of years.

Reply To This Message

Steve,

The leak (a single drop) appears to come from on top of the connector. Paste sealant-- do you mean the gray pipe joint compound? How long for this to harden/seal?

Post Edited (10-27-02 19:59)

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is usable immediately, and you do not have to worry about it staying in the joint. It does it by itself. as long as you apply it to the pipe and not the fitting.

Reply To This Message

hj wrote:

> It is usable immediately, and you do not have to worry about it
> staying in the joint. It does it by itself. as long as you
> apply it to the pipe and not the fitting.

"Apply to Pipe"--do you mean the female part of the tub fixture that the copper connector nut (male adapter) screws into?

Reply To This Message

Use pipe dope on the male threads.

Reply To This Message

I applied Rectorseal "T Plus 2" teflon sealant and still have a leak. Any specific products to recommend? Is the pipe dope a stronger tape than the regular pipe thread that came with the faucet? I turned the nut 2 turns past handtight. Should it be tighter or am I tightening too much?

Reply To This Message

dcplumber wrote:

> Use pipe dope on the male threads.
I used "T Plus 2" teflon sealant on the second go-around and still have leaks.

Is the pipe dope a stronger tape than the regular pipe thread that came with the faucet? Is this the preferred approach (pro's) to the paste sealants?

Reply To This Message

Rectorseal should seal it up, you may have to tighten it more. Sometimes you can wrap the threads with teflon tape and add some pipe dope to the taped threads. Are you sure the copper male adapter isn't leaking at the solder joint?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms